FAQ About Family Fun CenterDavid Hansen
Family fun center, also called family entertainment center (short for FEC), indoor party place, indoor play park, indoor playground, etc. You may have some questions towards FEC, whether you are about to opening a new one or being invented to a party held in one.
- For start-ups
- How to open a FEC
- Ideas / attractions
- Off months
- Target market
- For party-goers
- Outside food
- Can adults play
Are family entertainment centers profitable?
It is a big question, I can’t just give an answer here. But according to what I searched online, only a few FECs success, and most other FECs are either struggling or already failed.
Here are some links you should read and learn from others:
- Fec Indoor Center Start-up Questions on Moonwalk forum
- The dirty little truth about developing a family entertainment center no one will tell you
An indoor fun center needs lots of factors to be successful. Although it’s a trend now, you need to think through before dive in.
How to start your own indoor play center?
Here is s simple list to follow:
- Read and research, like a lot.
- Know your competitors in your area.
- Come up with a business plan and a good business name.
- Look for a location, to buy or rent.
- Design and construct your facility.
- Secure your indoor rooms and playgrounds (like security camera system, warning signs, etc.).
- Find a good insurance company.
- Search for fun equipment and good manufacturers & suppliers.
- Think about what food and drink to serve.
- Hiring and marketing.
- Set up a website for your business.
What fun attractions or equipment should I have for kids and adults?
- Inflatables (bounce houses, water slide, inflatable obstacle course)
- Go-karts / bumper cars
- Amusement rides
- Rock climbing wall
- Zip line
- Laser tag
- Water pool and bumper boats
- Basketball hoops
- Mini golf course
- Batting cage
- Bowling alley
- Ball pit
- Arcade games
- XD cinema
- Escape room
Are there any worst times of year for FEC industry?
Yes, summer and holiday seasons(Christmas). You have to think other ways to maintain incomes for those slow months, like providing inflatable rentals, daycare, church family nights, etc.
What events and audiences to target for your FEC?
If you wanna make full use of your site and pursue higher revenue, know your target markets.
- Kids’ birthday parties
- Family activities
- Company parties
- Sports teams and clubs
- Teen nights
- Walk-in groups
Does family fun center sell beer?
Maybe not all, but some sell wine and beer, some may only allow alcohol in certain zone. You can check out the facility’s website for beverage menu.
Can I bring my own food and drinks
Generally most of FECs do not allow outside food and drinks, birthday cake is an exception.
Do adults get to play and have fun?
It depends on what type of family entertainment center you are going to, some small fun centers may only target kids’ birthday parties, so they only have entertainment equipment for kids and toddlers, for example, a kids indoor inflatable park. But bigger and traditional FEC do have games and fun for adults, so they can aim for not only kid’s b-day party, but other events like company parties.