An Amusement Device License for Operating Inflatables

The thing is, you need a certificated amusement device license for owning and operating an inflatable device like inflatable slide and bouncy flooring castle.

Recently, a manager comes from Beechwood Market in Canada who bought a bouncy castle and now is taught he can not operate the inflatable device by himself because of lacking an operator’s license (see this news here).

Playing with inflated amusement devices which move players on them is highly related with safety concerns and regulations. Under the laws, varied in different states and countries, like 520 CMR 5.01 and EN14960, both inflatables operators and products should be tested and licensed.

So, if I want to own and operate any kind of inflatable amusement device for business, like inflatable rental businesses, how do I get an amusement device operator license? In short, you will need to fill up an application form and submit it to your local government, an insurance certificate to inflatables, a certificated report from a safety inspector and other legal documents. Here is an how-to procedure article about obtaining operator license you can refer to.

If you want to be a legitimate inflatable device operator, you should consider taking training course from Safe Inflatable Operators Training Organization, aka sioto. The fee of operator license is higher at first year, but a bit lower when renew.

In conclusion, if you wanna run a local inflatable rental company, or just buy an inflatable toy to attract customers, either way you have to get a permitted licence, train your employees or hire operators that already got ones.

Further reading

Inflatable equipment needed to be licensed

Share this post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *